Hong Kong 2008
Skyline by Day: Seeing the Hong Kong skyline by day made me reflect on how massive man’s ideas are. It is a vast architectural feast for the eyes and mind. It is one of the many sights that reminds me how small I am in such a big, big world; a little tadpole in a sea of sharks. The island is so small yet so huge!
Skyline by Night: The skyline by night is transfixing. It was one of those moments when I can’t decide which is prettier, man made or nature made. You would suspect the latter, but there are times the lines blur and they become equally as mesmerizing. This skyline is one of those times…concrete, glass, steel, and fairy dust…
Now with the obvious sightseeing pleasure of the skyline out of the way…I feel compelled to describe one of the many beautiful experiences I have been blessed to share with Fintan. We went boating on the South China Sea and watched the sun set and the full moon rise. These may sound like fairly common and simple things; however, there is nothing common or simple about their beauty and awe when shared with the one you hold most dear in your heart. The feeling of pure joy and boundless love that comes with nature mixed with love is truly magical…here’s to romance!
In the high afternoon sun, we swam together in the sea. The water was salty, the air was warm and happy feelings were at their peak! I’m more of a, lay-on-the-beach-sunbathing-waving-to-the-swimmers, type of girl…however with Fintan by my side, I enjoyed this liberating swim in the sea! I was equipped with only a safety ring and the pure carelessness that is only enjoyed when you are with the person that you know wont let you drown!
Back on the boat the drinks were refreshing and the seafood was caught and bought locally. I ate seafood I had never even known existed, let alone was edible! (Razor clams!! I never knew, nor would I have thought by just looking at them.)
The sun set was beautiful over the sea. While Fintan took hundreds of photos of it, I enjoyed making mind’s eye photos of it for my brain. Photos to be stored in my file, waiting to be pulled out at a later date; memorizing the slightly salty smell of the sea air, the sound of the waves gently lapping the side of the boat, the slow rhythmic rocking, how the water tasted on my lips, the fearlessness I feel when Fintan is around, and watching the man I love filling up my memory card on one sunset…I thought to myself it really can’t get any better than this. And then it happened…I seen my first full moon rise over the sea!
This was truly one of the most incredible sights I have ever witnessed. It was such a beautiful and eerie sight…a “sun” rising in a black sky. Darkness all around, the sky was black, the sea was black, and rising out of a black mountain was a bright, light filled sphere. The light from the moon casting a silver strip on the black sea was amazing.
It was beautiful…what a sight…what a feeling…what a wonderful day…what a perfect time to cuddle with Fintan on the roof deck of the boat and take a nap while heading to the dock…
















2 comments:
I am so happy for you and Fintan. As always, your pictures are incredible!
Not only are your pictures increadible but so too is your writing. You describe things in a way that makes it seem as though we are there with you.
Hugs & Kisses to you both
Aunt Cathy
Post a Comment